A comprehensive list of private investigator research resources and tools.
We compiled this list of private investigator research tools specifically for private investigators. However, the resources are helpful for police officers, crime scene investigators, forensic experts, and others who work in or with the investigation industry.
In addition, free research tools are helpful for those who work in security-related fields, such as security guards, bodyguards, and bounty hunters. Also, professionals that work to track down debtors and locate missing persons, such as collection agents and skip tracers.
The list contains an extensive collection of research resources, search tools, reference material, how-to articles, websites, and other helpful information on a wide range of topics.
- Background Checks – An overview of top information service providers conducting background checks and investigations.
- Badges – Private Eye badges
- Bail Bondsman – An overview of bail bonds and the people who issue bonds.
- Bank Accounts – Information on bank accounts for financial inquiries.
- Banking Regulations – For those involved with financial matters.
- Bankruptcy – An overview of bankruptcy for those who are conducting asset searches.
- Become a Private Investigator – Learn how to get a private investigator license in each state.
- BeenVerified Background Search Review – A full review of the popular public records search engine.
- Blogging Websites – A review of the top blogging and content management solutions for setting up your agency site.
- Bodyguard – Bodyguarding, executive protection, personal protection websites, books, and more.
- Body Language – How to identify deception
- Books of the Bible – One of the more popular topics in our List of Lists section.
- Bounty Hunters – Fugitive recovery information and websites.
- Business Research Tools – Tips and advice for uncovering information about companies. Includes sources for business news, magazines, and more.
- Catfish Investigations – An overview of catfish investigations for online dating scams and fraudulent schemes.
- Celebrity Investigations – Learn about the drama behind some high-profile celebrity deaths, arrests, and cheating scandals.
- Celebrity Mug Shots – A list of mugshots of Hollywood celebrities
- Civil Investigations – Support for civil trials involving separation, divorce, child custody, alimony, and child support payments.
- Collections Agency – Since gumshoes are experts at tracking down debtors, it’s good to know about collection agencies.
- Computer Forensics – Information on the computers, digital, cyber, and IT forensic investigation processes, tools, books, and reference information.
- Crime Scene Investigation – Learn about the process and procedures involved with investigating crime scenes, evidence collection, conducting forensic analysis, ballistics and firearm identification, DNA testing, police procedures, photography, tips, and more.
- Criminal Records Search – Learn how to find criminal records and court documents.
- Detective Training – Training classes, degree programs, and continuing education for private eyes.
- Dictionaries / Glossaries – A list of terms and definitions for performing investigations.
- Divorce Investigations – Resources for divorce, infidelity, and surveillance.
- DMV – Motor Vehicle Search – List of DMV offices throughout the U.S.
- DNA Lab Testing – For testing crime scene evidence or genealogical research.
- Domain Name Suffixes – A list of all domain name suffixes. Also, it includes an overview of domain names. Excellent reference material for PC forensics and computer-related cases.
- Dumpster Diving – A technique that private investigators may use to uncover helpful information during an investigation.
- Handwriting Analysis – How to analyze the handwriting of a subject to determine possible personality traits.
- Hire a Private Investigator – Visit our worldwide directory of private investigators to hire an expert in your area. Our directory has private investigators, process servers, bodyguards, background check companies, arson investigators, and more.
- Homeland Security – The government agency responsible for keeping the United States safe.
- How to Find Hidden Cameras – A step-by-step guide for finding hidden cameras and other surveillance equipment.
- How to Find Someone in Prison – If you are searching for a missing person, it is possible that they may be incarcerated. Learn how to check local jails and state/federal prisons to find inmates.
- How to Promote your Business with Social Media – Learn how to use social media to promote your services, build a following and connect with others who work in the industry.
- How to Survive a Mass Shooting – Learn how to stay alive in an active shooter situation. Get advice from law enforcement, security experts, military, and survivors.
- Hunchly – Web capture software solution for online investigations
- Insurance Fraud Investigations – Investigating fraudulent insurance claims, a list of major insurance providers in the United States, and insurance resources.
- Insurance Companies – A list of the major insurance companies in the United States.
- Intelius Public Records Search – Run various online reports to gather facts and information about people. Reports include criminal records, public records, property information, address and phone number reports, court documents, and much more.
- Investigation TV Shows – The best police dramas and crime TV shows.
- Investigation Industry Conferences, Seminars, and Events – Find events, conferences, and seminars related to the investigation industry. Stay in touch with what is going on in the industry, learn about new products and technologies, and network with other investigators.
- Investing – Reference material for financial investigations and asset searches.
- Law Enforcement – Online resources, agencies, associations, and more for police officers.
- Legal Forms – Helpful forms for various personal and business purposes such as Bill of Sale, Bankruptcy, Deeds, Divorce, Separation, Incorporation, LLC Formation, Last Will & Testament, Power of Attorney, Pre-Nups, Wills, and more.
- Legal Research – Free research websites for legal-related matters.
- Licensing (Private Investigator) – Learn how to become a licensed private investigator.
- License Plate Search – Learn about license plate searches, how they are conducted and if private investigators are legally able to run a search.
- List of Lists – Lists on a wide variety of topics.
- List of Acronyms for Chatting and Texting
- Lock Picking – Learn how to pick locks like a professional.
- Loss Prevention – Learn how businesses prevent financial loss by preventing theft and embezzlement.
- Paranormal Investigations – Ghosthunters
- People Search – Online tools for finding people
- Personal Protection – Learn how to protect yourself and your possessions.
- Pet Detective – Resources for finding missing pets.
- Phone Number Search (see Reverse Search below)
- Police Body Cameras – An overview of police body cameras, including the pros and cons regarding whether they reduce police violence.
- Police Officer Equipment – Learn about the equipment and tools used by police officers in the line of duty.
- Police Officer – Learn about the duties and responsibilities of police officers, the equipment and weapons they use in the line of duty, the vehicles used by law enforcement, and more.
- Police Reports – Learn how to find police reports.
- Police Ten Codes – A list of the codes used by police officers to communicate in the line of duty. In addition, this article includes an overview of the military and civilian phonetic alphabet and police acronyms.
- Police Training – Training classes and continuing education for police officers.
- Police Vehicles
- Polygraph – Information on polygraphs and lie detector tests.
- Presidents / List of U.S. Presidents
- Prison/Corrections – How to find someone in prison, jail, federal prison, or another type of correctional facility.
- Private Investigation Associations – Find an association to join and network with other professionals.
- Private Investigator Licensing – Learn the rules and regulations for getting licensed in any state.
- Private Detective Jobs – Resources for finding a job in the industry and an overview of salary and earnings.
- Private Eye Services – A list of services that private eyes might provide.
- Private Investigator Directory – A worldwide directory of private investigators.
- Private Investigator Software – Software used to conduct database searches, lookups, manage cases, and more.
- Private Detective Training – Resources for learning and continuing education. Includes a list of organizations that provide training for those interested in becoming a private eye.
- Private Investigator TV Series – The best TV crime and detective series.
- Property & Land Records – How to look up information on real estate.
- Process Service – Information on process servers, websites, books, and more.
- Public Records Search – Online search tools and databases for addresses, phone numbers, and other publicly available information.
- Reports – Learn how to order investigative reports online for background checks, public records searches, reverse phone number lookups, property records, and more.
- Report a Crime – How to report that crime to the appropriate law enforcement organization.
- Research Databases – Database information providers.
- Reverse Search – How to run a reverse search to find people, phone numbers, and addresses.
- Scams and Fraud Schemes – A list of common scams and fraud schemes.
- Search Engines/ Directories – The major search engines and directories for finding information on the web.
- Secret Service – The organization responsible for protecting the President and other members of government.
- Security Guards
- Security Systems
- Sex Offender Search by State
- Skip Tracing Online
- Social Networking Websites – A list of the most popular social networks.
- Social Security Numbers – Learn how SSNs are assigned.
- Spam – Resources for preventing email spam.
- Spokeo People Search – Search anybody by name, e-mail address, phone number, online username, or even friends in your address book and instantly return lots of info.
- Spy Gear and Surveillance Equipment – This includes an overview of the essential equipment used by private investigators to conduct surveillance and counter-surveillance. Includes personal protection devices such as TASERs, pepper spray and mace, and more.
- Stalking and Anti-Stalking – A list of suggestions for dealing with a stalker.
- State Information – State abbreviations, state capitals, constitutions, and websites.
- Stock Market Information – Websites to use during financial inquiries and investigations.
- Stolen Property and Goods – How to use the TransUnion / Recipero Trace Checker service to determine if property or goods have been reported as stolen to the FBI Stolen Articles file on the NCIC database.
- Surveillance – An overview of how private eyes conduct surveillance on subjects such as deadbeat parents, suspects, and witnesses.
- Survival Kits & Supplies
- Zip Code Lookup – Find zip codes for a particular area or look up the zip code for a particular address.
Questions and Comments
If you have any questions about our list of private investigator research tools, please post a comment below.